Dropshipping is a fulfillment strategy using which you work with your suppliers to ship products directly to your customers from the supplier’s location without the stock ever reaching your warehouse/store.
In Primaseller, dropshipping is enabled by:
- Enabling it on a Supplier and Configuring a virtual facility for that supplier
- Scheduled creation of a special order called Dropship Order which compiles all fulfillments meant for a supplier for a certain period (day/ week/ month). This can be emailed to the supplier
- Creation of a Purchase Order along with the Dropship Order
- Navigate to Main Menu >> Purchasing >> Suppliers >> Create or edit a supplier.
- In the Dropship section (towards the end of the page), Enable Dropshipping by switching on the “Is Dropshipper” option. On enabling it, you will see the following option:
- Frequency : Select the frequency (Daily/Weekly/ monthly), hours, and minutes at which all sale orders meant for this supplier will be compiled and sent as one Dropship Order
- Default Dropship order status: Set this to “Open” if you want to manually review Dropship orders for this supplier to modify or add special instructions before sending it. Otherwise, it will be sent (emailed) automatically.
- Create PO automatically per drop-ship order: Select this option to automatically create and send a PO against a Dropship Order when you send it. If you set this no, you can manually create a PO later at any point in time.
- Once enabled, a new facility will be created using the Supplier Name and Address. This is a facility of type “Dropship”
Setting up Dropshipping Assignment Rules
You will now need to setup Assignment rules using which you will route orders to a Dropship Facility.
- Identify the channel for which you want to route orders to the suppliers configured above
- In Assignment rules, add a rule using “Assign based on Inventory – Split Order” and then select the Dropship Facilities of each supplier.
- Save the rule.
Configuring the Dropship Order Template
This template decides what the Dropship Order PDF file would look like when emailed to the Supplier. Here’s how it is configured:
- Navigate to Main Menu >> Settings
- Click on the Templates and select Dropship Order Template.
- Select Add template.
- Fill up the details and provide a template name
- Provide the details of the Header, logo, and footer as per your requirement under Design.
- Under the Customer Tab click on show customer phone number and email id as per your requirement.
- Click on save.
Running a Dropship Operation
This involves diligent followup of two key tasks
- Ensuring that your Dropship locations always have stock information from your Supplier and
- Ensure you always update the Dropship orders created with relevant information
Setting up Supplier Inventory
The supplier inventory can be updated for each SKU individually or bulk imported in Primaseller frequently.
Follow the below steps to set up dropshiping supplier Inventory:
- Navigate to the Main Menu
- Click on Inventory
- Click on Stock level
- Select Dropship facility (This will be automatically created when you enable dropship while creating a new supplier)
- Select either edit stock On hand/ to bulk upload click on Inventory actions.
For more details about bulk action import inventory click here.
Dropship Order Overview
Dropship orders essentially combine fulfillments for a given supplier from a Dropship location. They are created automatically based on the frequency set on the Supplier -> Dropship configuration section.
A Dropship order has the following statuses:
- Open: You can modify a dropship order in this stage by removing fulfillments.
- Sent: This Dropship order has been sent to the Supplier and you are waiting for updates from the Supplier if it has been processed yet.
- Closed: All
Processing Dropship Orders
As per the frequency set and dropship order status on a Supplier, an automatic dropship order will be created collating all the sale orders received. Follow the below steps to process a dropship order.
If the default Dropship Order Status is open (on supplier configuration) :
- Navigate to Main menu >> Purchasing >> Dropshipping and select an Open Order.
- Add instructions to items if needed
- Map any unmapped items to your Supplier by clicking on Map
- Click on Send – > This will send an email to the Supplier and also create a PO automatically (if configured on a supplier).
In this stage you will wait for shipping information from the supplier. Once received, you need to manually add it to each fulfillment so that the tracking information is also updated to Online Channels – in case the order was from an online channel.
- Select Actions next to each fulfillment and click on Ship
- A popup appears
- Provide the shipper and tracking information and click on ship.
A Dropship Order will automatically close once all fulfillments in the Dropship Order are either shipped or cancelled.
Dropship Purchase order
For every Dropship Order, a purchase order will automatically be created(if configured on a supplier – otherwise you can manually create one later). Follow the below steps to send and approve(if a supplier needs approval) a dropship purchase order:
- Navigate to the main menu and purchasing.
- Select the purchase order and click on the order number.
- Click on approve & send PO.
Dropship order cancellation
A fulfillment in dropship order can be cancelled before it is shipped.
- Navigate to Main menu >> Purchasing >> Dropshipping and select an order.
- Click on action next to a given fulfillment and cancel
Impact on QBO
- Dropshiping Inventory is not Synced with QBO.
- Purchase orders and purchase receipts will be synced.
- QBO entries are currently not handled if the order is returned to the supplier facility.